What a special day! We honor our precious mothers.
Mother’s Day is a celebration honoring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society.
- Initial proclamation: 1870 (Julia Howe wrote the first Mother’s Day proclamation asking women everywhere to join for world peace)
- Founders: Julia Ward Howe | Ann Jarvis | Anna Jarvis
- Earliest beginnings: 1868 (Ann Jarvis created a committee to establish ‘Mother’s Friendship Day’)
- Became nationally recognized: 1914 (proclamation signed by Woodrow Wilson)
- Founding country: United States
The love of a Godly mother is beyond our ability to describe. But, wise Solomon in his writings in Proverbs 31 has these words to say:
10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
The Word of God gives descriptions of her and her relationship with her family, husband and children.
What a blessing it is when we have such a Mother that can fit the Lord’s words concerning her.
May God’s blessings be upon all the Mothers in today’s services and those who would desire to be here but can’t due to some providential hindrance.